Please help me! I’m desperate!!!?

Overuse injury in my elbow! PLEASE HELP!!!?
I have an overuse injury in my arm. It’s little leaguers elbow. I need to know how to treat it (more than RICE) and how I can repair it. Will physical therapy help me at all? I am just finishing up my track season (I throw shotput, javelin and discus) and soon I will be participating in softball. I’ve been told not to do it but I really want to. Every time I throw I get an intense pain on the medial side of my elbow. I love sports and I would absolutly hate to give them up but if I have to I will because I want to be able to play tennis in the fall.

I’ve tried braces for my arm but they mess up the way I throw.

Thanks for all the help!

Be Sociable, Share!
  1. Freebird31 w, 15 September, 2009

    You need to seek the advice of a true sports and muscle specialist. if rice is not enough then maybe they can repair some damage?

  2. Joe M, 15 September, 2009


    It sounds like you are going to have a life of pain and suffering, and be unable to play tennis or throw shotputs, javelins, or discuses.

  3. begeeman13, 15 September, 2009

    its really simple. first of all, i think you mean ICE as opposed to RICE, but anyways. after you physically exert your arm, you *should* ice it for about 15-20 minutes. this will keep down any swelling in the tendons or muscle. second, you should put heat on it in the form of a hot towel or heating pad. this will relax away any tension that builds up from the exertion. thirdly, you really should minimize the amount you use the arm, or if you insist, then at least minimize the amount of strain you put on the elbow. fourth, you could always play on it, just take a couple advil before the game.

  4. peach, 15 September, 2009

    You need a medical opinion of this. It could effect you the rest of your life. Have you tried going to a chiropractor. They may be able to help. They have many new treatments for sports injuries. I’d give this a try first. Ya don’t want to wreck yourself from doing even everyday stuff.

  5. andycapped2000, 15 September, 2009

    Make the team as a DH. Other than that, nothing.

    And to whoever said you meant ICE and not Rice


    That is RICE.

  6. madbaggage, 15 September, 2009

    It is an RSI (repetitive strain injury) known in the UK as Tennis Elbow.

    Treatments are:
    steroids injection (not the sort that are banned for athletes),

    You can also buy a brace to take the strain off that joint.

  7. micky, 15 September, 2009

    Give them up till the fall ,u need to rest your injury or it will never get better ,all your going to do is make it worse by playing sports unless u give some time to heal.

  8. Dan, 15 September, 2009

    You need to get some help for your injury before you cause permanent damage. Get a referral to see a physical therapist specialized in orthopedics and/or sports medicine. He/she will diagnose and treat your problem and help you return to your sport.

  9. pipki, 15 September, 2009

    yes i get that as well. Tennis elbow is layman’s term. try either a cortisone shot (ask your doctor) but since i hate needles, i use a cortisone cream..

  10. The Big Achiever, 15 September, 2009

    Try this joint supplement called Naturflex.

  11. Ed Teach, 15 September, 2009

    See an experienced orthopedic surgeon for a good evaluation first.

    If it is an overuse tendonitis, it will respond only to controlled rest (avoiding throwing) and rehab.

    Another concern is a tear of your Ulnar Collateral Ligament. (Check out "Tommy John surgery" on the web to see what I’m talking about.) This is a growing problem in young athletes due to overuse, poor mechanics, and misguided coaching.

    Regardless, there is no instant cure to elbow pain. Just follow the history of some major league pitchers.

    Oh yes, remember this. Repeated steroidal injuries into a tendon or ligament can make them more prone to rupture. Only allow it by a conservative orthopedic surgeon.

    Look up the American Sports Medicine Institute for more info.

    Just another thought: Is it better to not throw for 6 weeks – or – risk blowing out your elbow, have reconstructive surgery, then 6-9 months of rehab, and then maybe you will be able to throw again at your previous level.

  12. Myrtle Beach Bi-Lingual, 15 September, 2009

    the best medicine for overuse injury is to decrease but not completely stop using the joint. I strongly suggest that you sit out this softball season and limit your other throwing sports. If this is not cleared up in a reasonable time an orthopedic surgery might become necessary. Also try taking anti inflammatory medications to ease the pain. Physical Therapy is an option in the doctor orders it.

  13. avro_arrow10, 15 September, 2009

    try an herbal supplement. i would suggest Devil’s Claw.

Copyright © Get Rid Of Tennis Elbow Pain